Day 78
We set off from Chalong Pier on another speedboat trip. This time we were visiting the islands off Phuket. First up was Maya Bay, which is part of Phi Phi Ley. This particular area is famous because the majority of the film 'The Beach' was set here.
As we were approaching the island I thought, it can not be that busy. We had paid extra to come here at a quiet time.
Quiet, whatever!!!!!!!!!!! This was the busiest beach I have ever been to. It was absolutely rammed not fun at all. The water was absolutely crystal clear though, which is very impressive seen as the amount of boats that come here.
This is how it should look, well it did in the movie!
We were advised by our guides to go to a look out point round the corner. The queue to get to this place was big. When we got to the view point there was not much there.
We were pretty glad to be getting back on the boat and moving on to the next attraction. This was a ride through Pileh Cove.
After the cove we headed to Monkey Beach. This turned out to be more of a rock face, but there were monkeys, a lot of them. All of the boats including ours threw bananas to them, so much for not feeding the animals.
After here we went snorkeling at Ton Sai Bay. The amount of fish here was unbelievable, hey would swim right up to your hands (especially with bread in them). You would be surrounded by a hundred or so all pecking at you hand. However, what they did not tell us was the place was full of little jelly fish. Nothing deadly, but I got stung about 8 times, each one felt like someone had just burnt your skin. Claire and many others did not last long.
We then sailed to the Viking Cave. Tourists are not allowed in anymore unfortunately. In the caves the locals (government ) collect swallows nests. The japanese like to put them in soup. 1 kilo of nests cost £300,000 so it is a pretty lucrative business.
Next we moved on to Phi Phi Don. This is small island that is popular with backpackers and honeymooners. Now there is no surprise that this place was so so busy as well. I could have easily been in Lamai or Chaweng. Maybe in the night when all the day trippers have left it might be a fair quieter.
Phi Phi Don beach
Thanks for the photo bomb! Would have been a good pic of Bamboo Island.
Overall I can not help but feel disappointed with Phi Phi, I had much higher expectations. I think we arrived 10 years too late, I imagine back then it was a tropical paradise. Sadly not anymore they have cashed in on the tourist dollar. I mean I can hardly blame them, it is a poor country.












0 comments:
Post a Comment